Thursday, September 11, 2008

This was my first commission piece for a friend of ours. They were remodeling their master suite, and needed something light and airy to match the basin they had already purchased from Ikea. They had a very specific finish recipe, which they had used on the red oak floor (i.e. Minwax "Sedona Red" and "Golden Oak"). We discussed design elements, some of which were against my personal tastes, but once I drew it up in AutoCAD, I was thrilled with how it turned out and I learned a huge lesson about being open-minded. I had to purchase a minimal amount of wood because another friend had given me some rather dramatic oak from skids he had salvaged from work. Sawing them down on my contractor's saw ended up burning out the motor. Since I was in a time crunch, I ended up buying a nice 10" Delta hybrid saw that has since seen hundreds of hours of use. I arranged the four legs to optimize the "show" sides, since there were lots of knots. I also made the lattice just like you see teak decks on old-school sailboats. Making the box joint jig really helped out, and the entire lattice assemble fit very snugly into its hole. I used dowel pegs to suspend the lattice work invisibly, and to allow for easy removal. They were ecstatic with it, and I gained an appreciation for what you can find at Ikea.

No comments: